Sunday, March 1, 2009

HOME??

And then, enter…Virginia!!! Owen and I hooted and hollered and high-fived…the end of the journey! Owen, being an enlightened little 4-year old, knew full well that the journey was an epic one and he is proud to have made it. I am proud that he has gotten to experience it and hope that it will forever leave something of a badge of courage and a mark of experience on him. He was an absolutely amazing companion.

We stopped and bought produce at the little gas station at Newport, Virginia, on the corner of Route 460 and Route 42 (which winds out to the little area known, by virtue of its little general store, as the community of Sinking Creek, and is the place where I made my home on that 300+ acre farm for four years). The produce is cheap, fresh, and everyday sits outside under the awnings of the little market. Owen picked some peppers and cucumbers, and I bought a bag of those wonderful little Stayman apples that I have been longing for over the years.

The new home is little, old house with a grape arbor and a huge field. It is a good little house.

Though I joke, every place (aside from a handful of cities) between Fairbanks, Alaska, and Blacksburg, Virginia and a few side-journeys, holds its own sense of beauty, every part of it wonderful and special in its own right. The journey leads me to one final thought of self discovery…I am a wanderer.

No comments:

Post a Comment